When I see those creepy spiders crawling across my floor I immediately feel like I need to check under every chair, table and rug for the rest of their families. Of course, in the part of the country I live in, the spiders are harmless, but that doesn’t stop me from feeling just a little uneasy when crawling friends start taking over my home.
It’s starting to get colder out and that means that my home is beginning to be infiltrated with spiders! Because of that, I feel the need to share some tips and tricks for keeping those creepy, crawly creatures out of our homes:
- Seal and cover cracks. Walk around your house and think like a spider. Cover the gaps around the house and especially around doors. Check whether screens and windows are repaired. Air vents need to be covered in hardware mesh and cracks sealed in the foundation.
- Clean up the perimeter. Clean up or move any leaves, woodpiles, or other debris next to your house. Spiders don’t like wide open spaces, but they love dark nooks and crannies.
- Get rid of their paths. Trim any shrubs or stray branches that are touching the sides or roof of your home. These are a direct path for spiders.
- Spraying isn’t the answer. According to the University of California’s Integrated Pest Management Program, pesticide control is difficult and rarely necessary. Spiders are very resilient and you’ve practically got to fire the spray right at them. Instead, just clean up anything around the base and sides of your home.
- Clean up your act. Allowing things to build up, like a stack of newspapers or a pile of shoes make perfect homes for spiders. Try to hang up or put away whatever you can.
- Vacuum their hiding places. Vacuuming up webs and dust leaves little room for spiders to feel comfortable. Spiders love hiding in webs and dust.
- Caulk. Caulk around doors and windows to keep the spiders outside and you safe and warm inside.
Whether or not you have eight-legged roommates trying to move in, it won’t hurt to follow the above steps to deter any little creatures from trying to make your home their home! And, if you are in the market for home insurance consider giving Long’s Insurance Agency a call.
Source: Foremost Blog